Discover the PhraseExpander interface
Get a general overview of how PhraseExpander interface is organized and how to get started using the software.
In this article
The main window of PhraseExpander is where you can create, edit and organize your phrases in groups for easy retrieval.
As you are using PhraseExpander, you will see this window quite a lot. It suggests phrases as you type based on the abbreviations that you have defined.
Once you have selected the phrase you want, press the SHIFT key to confirm it (you can change the confirmation key or execute the phrase immediately).
The suggestions window displays:
- The abbreviation (highlighting what you have already typed)
- The description of the phrase
- The confirmation key to type to insert the phrase
The Glossary Pane displays the list of glossaries and groups that contain your phrases and autocorrects.
Glossaries can be easily shared between computers. And they can have their own abbreviations and shortcuts as well.
Glossaries can be of two types:
- Phrase glossaries: they contain groups and lists of phrases (with the associated abbreviations). To expand a phrase, type the associated abbreviation. Phrases can contain macros and perform advanced functions like launching applications and websites, requesting user input and more.
- Autocorrect glossaries: they are a list of pairs (misspelled text, correction), used to automatically correct your spelling mistakes as you are typing. This type of glossary is not meant for expanding abbreviations to full sentences, but mainly for correcting typos.
The Phrase List displays all the phrases contained in the selected glossaries/groups.
This gives you an outlook of the phrases you have created and the associated abbreviations and shortcuts.
To display the Phrase list, click on the Phrases tab, in the Glossaries pane.
Once you have selected a phrase from the Phrase list, PhraseExpander displays its contents in the Phrase details.
You can modify the phrase to include formatting, pictures, and special macros to automate a number of operations (like launching applications or websites, filling in forms and create little scripts to control applications).
Once you have defined your abbreviation, you can test it in the TestPad.
In the Autocorrect list, you can define your most common spelling mistakes in the Autocorrect List.
Anytime you misspell that word, PhraseExpander will autocorrect it for you, in any application.
To display the Autocorrect list, click on the Autocorrects tab, in the Glossaries pane.
PhraseExpander comes with glossaries to autocorrect the most common spelling mistakes in English and many other languages. You can download autocorrects dictionaries for other languages from our text templates library.
Once you have created a phrase or an autocorrect, the fastest way to test it is to type the abbreviation in the Test Pad